2005 Credit First thoughts
1. (a) Look up data book
(b) Write electronic arrangements in the boxes of the atoms.
(c) What elements in a covalent compound?
2.(a) What fuel is camping gas ?
(b) Highest must be at top or bottom - must be an extreme.
3. The carbohydrates are listed in the correct order
(a) Which carbohydrate is not paired up?
(b) One of the pairings.
4. (a) Must have boiled before 0oC
(b) molOWcules - TWO with low melting points
5. Molecular formula written in each box
(a) Must be made from propene.
(b) need to match general formula (easy) and not react with bromine
(c) Write the molecular formula of substance asked about.
6. Electrons at the right hand side.
7. Beware of statements that are true for only one of the acids.
Treat as true/false statements for each acid.
8. Rewrite metals in a column, as on page 7, because that is the way you are used to.
9. Check the ones involving iron first.
10. (a) (i) Copy from the data book.
(ii) protection !!
(b) use page 7.
11. (a) You need three monomers together - how many carbons along the backbone ?
(b) Write the molecular formula of the molecule.
12. (a) There are three formula so you should be able to work out a general formula using 'n' instead of numbers.
(b) (i) Page 6 goes up to octane so deduce one for nonane.
(ii) cannot say 'speed up the reaction'
(c) Concentrate on the carbons in each molecule
13. Read the question. It is long but straight forward.
(a) (i) Look at graph
(ii) Same as the example - different figures
(b)You are being asked about an ion.
14. (a) You have done this experiment with sulphuric acid.
(b) How do you make it into solid crystals
15. (a) get electronic arrangement of nitrogen. You need two of them for N2
(b) (i) What were the two processes in nitrogen chemistry.
(ii) Not a lot of information. Why would you be able to stop heating something.
16. (a) Rewrite on paper so you can do the working.
(b)(i) Label axes and make scales.
(ii) MARK where 60 would be.
(iii) as 'A' increase 'B' ........
(c) Look at diagram - does it suggest anything
17. (a) Carbohydrates listed in Q3 - Glucose is first.
(b) (i) think on chemical reactions.
(ii) Look at diagram
18. (a) Write in words first.
(b) What colour is copper(II) oxide in the frrst place?
(c) Comparing calcium and copper - open page 7.
19. (a) Mark arrow on diagram on wire.
(b) What is made by the cell?
(c) What is not present in sugar. may help with previous question.
(d) (i) look in data book for its position.
(ii) What happens in car exhausts?
20. (a) A salt is formed.
(b) Copy out equation and underline the chemicals you are asked about (hydrogen) and told about (aluminium)
2Al + 3H2SO4 -----> Al2(SO4)3 + 3H2